The new Bachelor Australia aired this month and I thought I would share some of my thoughts on the franchise.
As you know, I am a fan of the American Bachelor and I also enjoy watching The Bachelorette. The show itself has a shocking success rate for long term relationships- after a combined 28 seasons of the two shows, the result has been three marriages and a five year relationship which is now over.
The Bachelors tend to go for the easy girl over the challenging one, so perhaps that’s why these matches don’t last. The Bachelorettes are easily fooled and distracted by the players. The Bachelor Pad spin off was also short lived, only lasting three seasons, when shock horror- people chose money over love and were quite happy to lie about it in the process.
Sometimes it seems that the women don’t care who they marry, they just want to get hitched and have children. Just once, I would like to see one of them say, “Actually I won’t accept your rose because I’m just not attracted to you.” Inevitably, in a house of 25 women, not everyone’s personalities are going to mesh and they become masters of confrontation and isolation of the threatener.
Most of the contestants seem to have more luck finding love with other jilted potentials outside of the show at social events connected to the show.
The Bachelor Australia franchise is not nearly as entertaining as the American version. Perhaps because America has a larger population of desperate women whose one mission in life appears to be married with children by the age of 22? Or maybe Australian women are just not as competitive with each other and therefore not as entertaining to watch?
So why do I keep watching this show? It is pure cringe-worthy entertainment. Coming from a place of someone who is married, it is easy to criticise what the girls and guys do. But if truth be told, I have a dating past as well, so can also relate to what the contestants go through.
For what, it’s worth, here are my notes on the new Bachelor Australia:
- A white rose- good on ya Channel Ten- so not at interesting as you think
- “I don’t need a man”- so why are you on the show?
- I have never seen so many high splits on dresses in one room
- Most overused expressions by the women- “Game on” and by Blake- “Likewise”
- Talk about manufactured dates. Anyone can fall in lust when you have a dream date with the dream dress and they ply you with so much alcohol that you are absolutely hammered before desert. P.S Being a front runner at the start means you usually lose
- A wedding photo shoot as the first group date- how original and not obvious at all (insert sarcasm here)
- At least the losers had enough self-respect not to cry
- Laurina is playing it perfectly- high maintenance and hard to get and the other girls are so clueless that they don’t even get that is what she is doing. She was obviously picked to create controversy and how good is calling yourself an entrepreneur when you’re actually a model? (Yes I am jealous that she is in the one profession where women earn more than men and get paid to look beautiful)
- I like Chantal, closely followed by Lisa- they seem nice and normal. Will Blake see the light and chose one of them? Will one of them fall in love with him? And more importantly, will their love last in the real world? Only time will tell.
And that’s a wrap!